|AIMS OF THE ACTIVITY|
|Let the participants experience a dynamic of negotiation in a context where there is a clear task and time given, starting from different parameters and subjective values. Moreover, this situation allows us to test a method of group work and observe the styles of work in the group.|
|DESCRIPTION / METHODOLOGY|
|Use the sheet for the choice of objects before at the individual level (to do in 5 minutes) and then, divide the group in two parts and give the group 15 to 20 minutes (according to the size) to choose as group 4 items in order of importance, obviously having to find a way to negotiate individual choices. Finally, each group chooses a spokesperson. The two arranged in the classroom with their supporters near (which may suggest, support or even replace him, but cannot talk to the members of the other group or the other spokesperson) must negotiate four common choices in order of importance in 15 minutes.
What often happens in this game is the following. If you have not done well trading during the first phase -limited to record only majorities and minorities-, in the second phase you have people in the group, who do not support the spokesperson or even feel closer to the other group. This can happen because they have not made choices in-group, not having had the opportunity to hear, to be heard, and to share creative ideas. On the other hand if you use a method of discussion too “open” you may not be in time (in this case the game is interrupted). Such dynamics allow the conductor to solicit a reflection group orientation and task orientation in a ‘team and the necessary or balance between these two dimensions.
|1 hour, debriefing included|
|MATERIAL AND RESOURCES NEEDED|
|Team negotiation skill
Task orientation and group leaning
You come back from a holiday abroad and find that, in the area where you live, it is raining continuously in the last three days. At your arrival, you hear the speaker of a police car traveling the road to warn residents to evacuate, because there is danger for an imminent river overflowing.
You ask to a police officer to let you get in the house for a moment, the time to take some things you care particularly. The cop gives you a maximum of 5 minutes. You come home and realize to take away only 4 things, with the assurance that everything will be destroyed or irreparably damaged by the flood.
Which of these objects you will take? Sign them in priority order.
1) A transistor radio
2) Two very old bottles of wine preserved for a special occasion
3) Records and accounts of the your Association
4) Your favourite book you care a lot
5) The laptop you lent a friend
6) Your personal diary you keep from last year
7) Your favourite sweater
8) The album with photographs of your family
9) The cup that you have won in a sports competition
10) The address book
11) A bracelet that was passed from generation to generation in your family
12) The letters of your first girlfriend/boyfriend
13) Special stamp collections of your father, with some valuable stamps philatelic
14) A stuffed animal that accompanies you since you were little
15) A basket with some plants very difficult to grow, which are putting the first buds
16) A rare long playing with favourite songs of your mother, which is the “soundtrack” of your childhood
17) A precious carpet, worth a lot of money, given you by a relative of yours
18) Your portrait gifted you by the author
19) A bag with a change of underwear and toilet products
20) An expensive guitar that makes music you play particularly beautiful